We met on Monday January 5th at the Crazy Horse Steakhouse. The meeting lasted from 5:30 p.m. until approximately 8:00 p.m.
In attendance: Jim Reier, Frank Roldan, Mark Logsdon, Peter Burkey, George Miller
New Business Items
1. Establish date/time/places for recurring monthly board meetings We decided the first Thursday of the month should work.
2. Brainstorm topics for general meetings through June 2009 Jim will contact potential guest speakers.
3. Discuss ideas for International Year of Astronomy (IYA2009) activities Mark suggested the upcoming pairing of crescent Venus and crescent Moon. We may be able to coordinate activities with Ottawa County Parks or DeGraaf Nature Center, as well as Tuesday night concerts at Kollen Park. We also discussed running a Public Service Announcement on local radio, and running an advert in the Community Events column of the Holland Sentinel or other paper. Have we left any of our flyers with the Holland Area Chamber of Commerce?
4. Club ALCOR representative and duties Peter volunteered for this Astronomy League position.
5. Payment schedule for 2009 Reviewed 2008 treasurer’s log for payments including Astronomical League, International Dark Sky Association, Vivekananda, S&T, and others
Old Business Items
1. Treasury report $731.65 – Mark turned over the Treasury folder, notes and a cashier’s check for the account balance to Peter.
2. Prepare for February’s Park Township program “A Tour of the Solar System” We will begin with a Planetarium sky tour, followed by an activity, probably ending with a classroom discussion for the older guests.
3. What do we need to do to help Black River prepare for the Science Olympiad? No action on this item.
1/8/09 Update: Received an update from Robin. We will decide a date/time at the next general meeting – J.Reier
4. Planetarium maintenance and service assessment to Dave Zimmer Jim and Frank will meet with Dave and other School Board members Wednesday, Jan. 7th at 3:00 PM.
1/8/09 Update: Met with Dave Zimmer, Tom Winegar and Dave Daniels. (1) There will be a wireless access point added to the planetarium to access the internet. (2) A manual dimmer switch will be installed to control the dome lights. (3) All folding chairs will be replaced with stackable chairs. (4) Dave Daniels agreed to research a sound system in the planetarium to provide a microphone public address system and to play audio (CD player / AUX jacks, etc.) – J.Reier
5. $86 check to Treasury from October’s Park Township program Jim handed a personal check over to Peter.
6. Membership dues collected at next general meeting on January 9
George Miller- Secretary