The September meeting took place on Thursday, September 3rd at 84 East Restaurant.
In attendance: Jim Reier, Frank Roldan, Peter Burkey, George Miller
Old Business Items
1) Treasury Report:
Account balance as of June 4th $953.72 Recent expenses: Display table -$47.69 Astronomy League ($5x15 + $10) -$85.00 Account balance as of Sept 3rd $821.03
Other expenses approved for September:
State of Michigan Non-Profit registration fee
International Dark Sky Association fee
2) IYA2009 International Year of Astronomy
The viewing session scheduled for July 24/25 at Holland State Park was cancelled due to cloud cover both nights. The viewing session at Van Buren State Park was successfully held on Friday, August 14th. Six members and about 75 campers attended the presentation and viewing opportunity.
3) Cub Scout Astronomy Program
Club members met with Cub Scout pack 3043 at Hemlock Crossings County Park on Friday June 12th for an observing session.
New Business Items
1) Planning Future Meetings We discussed possible topics for upcoming meetings. Frank can contribute a video presentation of the Aurora Borealis. Peter mentioned that the Space quiz game is always popular. Jim suggested a work session to organize the materials at Macatawa Bay school.
2) $50 First Scope Peter suggested the club purchase a $50 First Scope, by Celestron. This scope is featured in the latest issue of Sky & Telescope magazine.
3) Planetarium/Building Permits for 2009-2010 School Year Jim submitted Facility Request forms to West Ottawa Public Schools for the 2009/2010 school year. Macatawa Bay MS will not be available April 09, 2010, due to Spring Break.
Next General Meeting on September 11th
SAAA will meet to prepare for the October 9th program for Park Township
October 9th program for Park Township
We will work through experiments from the latest Night Sky Network package (“Black Hole Survival Toolkit”), and review some of the previous toolkits. We plan to display a pictorial of the Space Shuttle preparation procedures before the program starts. This meeting will take the place of our regular October meeting.
October 24th Astronomy Day activities
Peter will contact Ross at Lumir Corp. to reserve Curtis Center Park for Astronomy Day activities on Saturday, October 24th. Please keep this date open to help at the park.
George Miller – Secretary
September 11, 2009